Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Healing Process

Wow these couple of weeks have been a lot harder than I thought. Healing is not easy, accompanying the general pain from breaking your back, there is the constipation from the pain meds, loss of sleep, bummer vibes from not being able to go outside, and loss of independence.
I am trying to see the positive in this and take the opportunity to do things that I don't normally get to do when I am always headed out on a new climbing, or skiing adventure. I would love to read more, learn to play an instrument, hang out with friends I don't normally get to hang out with. I guess its just hard though as I still have a general lack of mobility and the dull pain I have throughout the day. The root may be that I am just at a loss for the stoke I had before the accident. This is as relaxed as I can get sitting with the brace...

Its hard to be stoked when I don't know how long I have to wear my brace, when I am going to be able to lift things, start PT, or get my rods and screws out. Being such an active person, I feel like a caged animal, and tend to pace around the house ( I mean I should be stoked that I can let a lone pace). Once over this initial couple of weeks I think I will be able to come around and see more of the positives, but its just really hard right now when I sit and stare at my computer watching ski vids of guys ripping huge alpine lines, or sending big rock routes things that I would have filled my spring and summer with.
Ok, on another note I was able now with my free time compile a little video from my ski season. I do have to admit I had probably the best winter ski season of my life with the exception on how it ended. I was able to get nearly 30 days of skiing in from Opening day at Mt. Baker, to a sweet mid week bluebird pow day, to many days of first chair freshies on 7th heaven. On second thought I should not be as bummed as I am, I had a great ski season and next year I will be back shredding even more days than this year!

2010-2011 Ski Season Video

No comments:

Post a Comment